Up to 6 months to pay for your Coxswain course

Coxswain Grade 2 enrolments now online –
Click the BOOKING OPTIONS button on the right.

The Coxswain Grade 2 is 8 units  of the 12 units needed to get a FULL Coxswain, so it is almost a full Coxswain. Just add ESS, Chartwork and some Engineering and a lot of sea time – and you will be able to go up to Full Coxswain. If you do the Grade 2 first, you only need to do the remaining 4 units later to upgrade to full Coxswain, when you have the sea time.

Courses are held On Demand every single day – we will try to fit in with you, 7 days a week.


All the info on costs are at the end of this page. Please read it all first.

HOW it Works

You do a Correspondence Course to cover the Theory and a little of the Practical (ropes, knots, splicing, whipping). You must be able to access the internet and must be able to work by yourself, finding things online, researching etc. The Australian Boating Manual (Dick Gandy) is also needed, which you can get as a digital or hard copy. Digital is good because you can easily search for the information needed to answer questions in the Correspondence Course. Some people prefer a hard copy. Either way, you need to get one for yourself.

  1. Enrol and pay using the ORDER  button (top right)
  2. A boxed kit will be mailed to you within 1-2 working days, or you can even collect it after hours from Coogee, WA.
  3. You do the written work (about 30 hours) and then study the theory (for as long as you need to know it well). All up – its actually a 10 day course if you were to sit in a classroom, but we do NO classroom work. It is self paced study, so no time is wasted. As most of our students already know boats, most can do it all fairly quickly – do it at your own speed, as fast or as slow as you want. Every thing you need to know by the end is what you are ‘supposed to’ do on a commercial vessel anyhow. Don’t get hung up on the time, if you want to sit for a guaranteed amount of time, then go to TAFE, if you want to do the same work, but at your own pace, learning via videos and study guides etc, then this is for you. Fastest someone has done it is less than a week, others take all 6 months. Because it is blended learning it combines RPL aspects allowing you to move faster if you already know the stuff.
  4. Once you have done the Theory, written the answers to all the questions we send you, and studied what we tell you to study, you meet the trainer/assessor at an agreed location.
  5. When you meet with the trainer / assessor your Theory written work is checked and discussed, then you get in the boat (your boat if you have a commercial boat) and do all the practical training, as well as assessment.
  6. When you have passed our final exam you get a course completion Certificate from us (some call it the RTO Certificate), which you add to the rest of the list of forms and paperwork which you need to give AMSA to apply to them for the Coxswain Grade 2. (we give you all the guidance, all the forms, everything you need – you just follow the instructions).
  7. Essentially we give you a certificate and that is just one of the items that AMSA need in order to give you the Coxswain.
  8. You also need to pass a Final AMSA Mandated Practical Assessment (which replaced what used to be ‘the orals’. This can be done by one of the Final Assessors that AMSA have authorised in various location to do this final test. One of our Assessors is able to do this if you want you can book and pay for it at the end, after you pass the course.
  9. The next thing you do is fill in the online AMSA Application (we can assist you to do this on the final day) and then you take copies of everything to the an AMSA agent post office and send it all to AMSA for processing.
  10. If you need your Coxswain qualification immediately for work, you can get an Interim Certificate from your Final Assessor, if you don’t want for your paperwork to go to Canberra, get processed and for your card to come to you.
Skippers Tickets

To do the Coxswain Grade 2 certificate course with us, you need to have your Recreational Skippers Ticket. You can do it at the same time as the Coxswain Grade 2 course if you dont have it. If you already have it, then that part of the course is removed from the Coxswain course.


We operate 7 days a week. Some days are fully booked, but FIFO students change and so gaps appear all the time. We have vessels available at Woodman Point / Jervoise Bay, which is the main location we train commercial courses from. However we can send trainers everywhere in Australia (you must just arrange and pay for transport and accommodation of a trainer to come to you – no other costs).

VESSEL for Practical

This can ONLY be done on a legal commercial vessel. There are commercial vessels available to hire in Fremantle if a student does not have access to their own surveyed vessel. Vessel hire is generally $600 per day, however for students we keep the max cost per student down (click this to see the main coxswain website for all costs and a proper Coxswain Quote). If your own vessel is illegal or unregistered etc, it cannot be used. It must be absolutely compliant with the newest AMSA regulations. ie Certificate of Operation, SMS etc.


Download the:

1. Eyesight test certificate

The Eyesight test certificate form 542 lets us know that your eyesight meets the necessary standard for working at sea.

If you are colour blind, you will be restricted to working in daylight hours only.

2. Guidelines for the medical assessment of near coastal seafarers.

Provide the medical practitioner with the Guidelines for the medical assessment of near coastal seafarers.

If you have a current AMSA medical (Certificate of medical fitness form 303) you can use this in place of the Eyesight test certificate.

You must submit your completed form as part of your Certificate of competency application form 426.

Within the Certificate of competency application there is a declaration of medical fitness that you must complete. This lets us know that you are medically fit to work at sea.


You need to show you have experience working at sea on board commercial or recreational vessels. You must have completed either:

  • 7 days with a completed approved task book
  • 60 days without a task book.

You must complete at least half of the qualifying sea service required for the certificate in the five years before the application.

If you have completed a task book you must attach a copy of the seafarer details page to your application.

You need to submit at least one of the following as proof of qualifying sea service:

  • Record of sea service form 771
  • an approved sea service log book
  • the on board sea service record from your task book
  • a letter from the vessel operator, owner, master or chief engineer detailing your sea service.

Read more about qualifying sea service.

If you want a task book

You can get a Coxswain grade 2 task book from us or from some registered training organisations. To order a task book directly from us, use the AMSA chargeable publications order form.

Read more about task books.


Complete a coxswain grade 2 course at a registered training organisation.

You will need to submit your course completion certificate or your interim certificate of competency with your Certificate of competency application form 426.


Before being issued your certificate of competency you are required to complete an AMSA mandated practical assessment conducted by a registered training organisation approved by us as a final assessor. Refer to the syllabus document to find out what may be included in your final assessment.

On successful completion of the final assessment the registered training organisation may give you an interim certificate of competency that will allow you to start working immediately. To be eligible for the interim certificate of competency you must have completed your Certificate of competency application form 426 including signing the declaration.

You must submit the cover page of your completed AMSA mandated practical assessment as part of your Certificate of competency application.


Download and complete a Certificate of competency application form 426.

You need to complete all sections of the form. You must:

  • respond yes or no to all questions and statements in the application form
  • complete all boxes (if the information requested is unknown or not applicable insert N/A)
  • attach copies of all required documents
  • sign the declaration
  • submit your application and pay a fee at an AMSA-contracted Australia post outlet
  • provide proof of identity when you lodge your application.

Read more about completing and submitting your application for a domestic certificate.

Everyone who skippers a vessel for commercial purposes needs commercial qualifications. This includes Environmental workers, research scientists, even Monitoring staff in a dinghy checking a drain, Main Roads workers in their barge working in a creek under a bridge or doing jetty work or any commercial work carried out in a boat. More info can be found on AMSA site.

You also need a little sea time to get any commercial qualification now, and this varies, so check with AMSA paperwork (see Download links above). At the time of writing this – you could do 60 days Recreational ‘sea time’ and that was sufficient for the Coxswain Grade 2 (ie the replacement for the old Coxswain Restricted qualification). You will also need to do some basic engineering, as well as pass an easy final test at Dept of Transport offices.

Coxswain Grade 2 may command a vessel of less than 12 meters in length, less than 5 nautical miles from point of departure, the ‘shore’ or aquaculture lease, without passengers. (“without passengers” – means paying passengers, so you can carry people on board if they are all “crew”.). Also if you are further than 5nm from Mainland, you can operate a tender or auxiliary vessel within 3nm from a mother ship. Latest details are int eh AMSA info linked to above.

There is also the potential to endorse your Coxswain Grade 2, to allow you to carry paying passengers (see AMSA website for this).

All info on the Coxswain can be seen on or on the AMSA website.

  • Colour blindness is a problem for some people
    You can check colour vision here and also here
  • Completed Medical Fitness Test Form (we will send you the form in the Kit) you fill this in yourself – no Doctor needed..
  • Current Motor Drivers Licence (for proof of identity)
  • 2 passport size photo
  • DoT / AMSA fees  (ask DoT what they are – they change from time to time)
    AND Sea Time of 60 days (which CAN be all recreational).
    This is all covered in the documentation on their website (look for Coxswain Grade 2) if you want more details, or you can ask us to forward to you the documents. Some are linked to below. If you enrol in the course, they will all, also be included in the Correspondence Pack that you receive when you book.

Costs are best seen on the main Coxswain website this this COXSWAIN WEBSITE

If you want to be trained and assessed on your own vessel, it must be legal Commercially registered. We can come to you – anywhere in Australia (you just organize and pay for travel and accommodation costs). GST is included if the cost does not say ‘plus GST’.

Other costs that you don’t pay to Perth Boat School will of course be the Senior first aid course, Eyesight tests and Govt fees, which change from time to time. (See AMSA or DoT website for this). We are not responsible for keeping an eye on AMSA, we do what we can, but part of your responsibility is to check with DoT and AMSA as they change. We provide the course. We will assist, but we aren’t your mum.

RTO Code: 51850

Download the FREE Skippers Ticket app.

Download on the App Store Get it on Google Play